Maternity Safety Conference 2021
9th September 2021
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
We still have some fantastic sponsorship packages available for this event.
Baby Lifeline is always keen to showcase best practice in health care, and so we invite attendees of our national conference on 9th September 2021 to submit poster abstracts to email@example.com by or on Monday, 9th August 2021.
Senior Research and Prevention Adviser at SANDS
Dr Denise Chaffer
Director of Safety and Learning at NHS Resolution, registered nurse and midwife.
Baroness Julie Cumberlege CBE DL
Member of the House of Lords, Chair of the National Maternity Review (Report: Better Births).
Professor Mary Dixon-Woods
Director of THIS Institute, The Health Foundation Professor of Healthcare Improvement Studies in the Department of Public Health and Primary Care at the University of Cambridge
Sir Liam Donaldson
Patient Safety Envoy, World Health Organization
Dr Christine Ekecki
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and RCOG Spokesperson for Racial Equality
Dr Matthew Jolly
National Clinical Director for Maternity and Women’s Health, Acute Medical Directorate, NHS England and NHS Improvement.
Dr Bill Kirkup CBE
President, Baby Lifeline
Chair, Morecambe Bay Investigation
Chair, East Kent Maternity Services Investigation
The Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP
MP, Chair of the Health Select Committee, and Founder of Patient Safety Watch.
Head of Research and Development, Baby Lifeline
Health Correspondent at the Independent
Mr Edward Morris
President of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Chair of Baby Lifeline’s Multi-Professional Advisory Panel.
Nadine Montgomery BSc, LLB
Law Graduate and Maternity Rights Campaigner
Head of Midwifery at South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
Midwife, Nurse and Healthcare Leader, Chair of the Independent Investigation into Maternity Services at Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust.
Ms Louise Page
Acting Clinical Director, HSIB
Chief Executive, Royal College of Midwives
Dr Alison Wright
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, Royal Free Hospital
Our 2nd annual conference will bring together maternity professionals, system leaders, subject specialists and patients and families to present the latest evidence on the safety of maternity care today, share examples of positive improvement and best practice and hear from senior leaders about the next steps in the national maternity safety programme.
- Learning from Health and Social Care Committee Maternity Inquiry.
- The next steps towards achieving the national ambition in maternity
- Woman-centred care: promoting choice, personalisation, and parent engagement
- The Seven Features of Safe Maternity Care researched by THIS Institute.
- Reducing inequality and improving outcome.
- A global perspective of patient safety progress.
- The national picture of maternity safety – learning from key national organisations (including, the Care Quality Commission, Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch, NHS Resolution, and MBRRACE-UK)
- Learning from the Coronavirus pandemic
- Patient-driven change: improving informed consent